Abby’s Catering has been providing a one-of-a-kind culinary and hospitality experience since opening in 1980. Our customers are high profile passengers visiting or residing in Houston. Celebrities, government officials, heads of states, secretaries, industry leaders, all traveling out of Houston aboard private, corporate, and commercial aircraft are part of Abby’s valued circle of customers. Abby’s also provided exclusive gourmet delights for corporate offices, private, social, corporate events and offers Food Service Management solutions for class A office buildings, campuses, and other institutions.
Our Executive Chef leads the culinary vision of the company. He/She ensures that Abby’s food creations are a ‘passport’ to a culinary journey of cultural and diverse preferences. Innovation, trend-setting menus, highest customer satisfaction is the signature of Abby’s Catering. Our culinary team will make sure our customers enjoy an unforgettable dining experience.
Requirements as follows, but not limited to:
This position requires flexible working schedules within a 24/7 work environment. The airline catering and event catering industry is a seasonal business and certain peak times of the year are blackout periods for PTO (paid time off), e.g. year-end, summer, etc. This position requires experience in Leadership, Management, demanding Accountability as well as Large Production Planning and Efficiency Increase, a high degree of training and teaching talent to lead the entire production crew to fully comply with all food safety rules and regulations and all customer specification always, producing the highest quality standards.
Responsibilities: Food Safety, Food Cost, Labor Cost, Quality, Teambuilding!
- Passion for gourmet food and providing the ultimate in customer service and delivering the highest quality out of the production kitchen.
- Ensuring that all standards for food quality and all specifications and recipes are consistently met or exceeded.
- Keep all storage areas above hygiene standards and guarantee proper product rotation.
- Proficient knowledge of food safety programs, cooking supplies, and equipment.
- Manage the following areas: Hot & Cold Kitchens, Butchery, Decanting, Raw Material Preparation, Dish Out, Tray Set Up, and Pastry.
- Implementation of internal food ordering/requisition systems with proper paperwork ensuring all par levels are met and no missing items or spoilage occurs.
- Create and implement daily production lists based on the actual menus to define production quantities and work orders for each workstation.
- Control overproduction and keep wastage to a minimum.
- Implementation and consistently keeping waste logs up to date for Senior Management and financial controlling review.
- Create and detail working / batch recipes for the team and teach/train for proper usage.
- Develop and train the technical skills of all team members of all levels to achieve the highest quality and productivity for the entire production.
- Develop and train the entire production team on all levels to consistently adhere to food safety rules and regulations outlined by the regulatory authorities and the company’s internal guidelines.
- Audits from 3rd party entities must be passed at 90% (minimum requirement)
- Team player with a positive attitude, creative, leading by example, articulate, and energetic with excellent mentoring and coaching skills.
- Flexible work schedule with the ability to cover shifts when needed.
- Ability to effectively schedule multiple shifts for a workforce of exempt and hourly workers.
- Ability to motivate and train employees on all levels and to build the team.
- Excellent communication skills to the workforce, same level team partners, and senior management.
- Excellent oral, written, and organizational skills to ensure smooth and efficient production flow to meet Kitchen Ready Times always.
- Detailed oriented with a key focus on quality assurance and food safety guidelines.
- Efficient and effective planner with the ability to apply techniques and applications to obtain immediate positive financial and quality results.
- Effective communicator and demonstrator of a company mission statement and core values while providing high-quality products.
- Must be present for all food presentations and food tastings with customers.
- Perform weekly Chef tables with QA Manager or alone, reporting findings to Senior Management and implementation of corrective action as required.
- Completes requisitions for the replenishment of kitchen items.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
- This job description is not exhaustive of all job responsibilities. Other tasks may be added or removed by Management according to business requirements
- Culinary master’s degree, a college degree in hospitality or food manufacturing
- Six Sigma Certification preferred
- Proven experience in planning and managing large productions
- Proficient in MS Office and Culinary Software (e.g. ChefTech, etc.)
- Bilingual: English/Spanish is a big plus
- Must possess strong culinary skills in both hot and cold preparations, the pastry is a plus
- Must possess a Food Manager Certification that is valid and recognized by the local authorities.
- Must ensure the quality preparation of all menu items with a clear understanding of food fundamentals.
- Three 3+ years of hands-on experience as an Executive Chef within a high volume and complex culinary operation of a similar size.
- Firm in the management of production sequences and designing efficient processes.
- Complete knowledge of HACCP and food safety programs and food industry standards.
- Able to control food and labor costs by estimating needs based on forecasts and utilizing the proper purchasing and staffing procedures.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Ability to cultivate working relationships with customers.
- Strong written, verbal, and communication skills are a must.
- Availability to handle numerous tasks simultaneously and able to work well under pressure in a fast pace environment.
- The ability to be an effective communicator in a multi-cultural workforce is a plus.
- It can easily adapt to change.
Summary of responsibilities:
- Quality assurance for assigned areas:
- Guarantee hygiene and food safety guidelines are followed by all staff within assigned areas always and all storage areas are spotless.
- Production dish out and assembly of food product 100% to the customer specifications and recipes always.
- Daily on-time delivery of all products based on the Kitchen Ready Times. * Financials for assigned areas:
- Meet food and labor cost targets as per directive by Senior Management and/or Budget.
- Stay within communicated purchasing targets and suggest the best prices for the best products.
- Minimize and control overproduction / overprovisioning and wastage.
- Maintain working equipment in best conditions, keep operational variables and kitchen supplies at a minimum level * Management of assigned area:
- Leadership, Management, and Accountability
- Create and maintain winning teams, keep fluctuation/turnover at a minimum.
- Lead by example, teaching/applying the company’s principles, core values, and vision.
- Excelling in teamwork when interacting with other departments and/or Senior Management.
- Three (3) years’ experience in Culinary Management in a high volume, the quality operation required
- Culinary Master’s degree and/or college education with coursework in the hospitality field and/or food manufacturing/management preferred.
- Proficient culinary knowledge of terms, procedures, and practices; two (2) years’ experience in a high-volume gourmet foodservice industry.
- At least two (2) years’ experience/exposure to menu specifications.
- Must have the ability to calculate yield ingredients, and measurements in accordance with the specification.
- Must be flexible and able to perform assigned tasks independently or as part of a work team to achieve company goals.
- Some knowledge of working in a unionized environment.
Company Core values:
Abby’s Catering strongly promotes and cultivates its company’s core values. It is necessary for all employees to internalize the company’s core values. The company hires, promotes, and terminated based on core values. It is expected that these company core values are practiced day in day out by each employee. By living these company core values we’re creating a very strong company culture with extremely creative and productive teams, that will increase the company’s’ efficiency, promote growth, and consequently guarantee our employment. (the easiest way to remember the seven company core values) CATCH
- Customer Driven
- One-week paid vacation after one year
- Employee Referral Bonus
- Medical, Dental & Vision Benefits
- Free employee meals
- Rewarding and fast paced workplace environment
- Personal gratification to work in such a niche business
- Yearly reviews, raises and year-end bonus potential all based on merit and job performance
“To continue to be the leading in-flight and corporate catering company serving the Houston Metro market by using locally sourced and sustainable raw ingredients, providing the MOST memorable and personalized attention to detail all while maintaining a fiscally sound budget.”
- Depending on the experience
- Houston, TX 77032