Abby’s Catering has been providing one-of-a-kind culinary and hospitality experience since opening in 1980. Our customers are high profile passengers visiting or residing in Houston. Celebrities, government officials, head of states, secretaries, industry leaders, all traveling out of Houston aboard private, corporate, and commercial aircrafts are part of Abby’s valued circle of customers. Abby’s also provides exclusive gourmet delights for corporate offices, private, social, corporate events and offers Food Service Management solutions for class A office buildings, campuses, and other institutions.
Our Executive Chef Airline Catering ensures that Abby’s food creations are a ‘passport’ to a culinary journey of cultural and diverse preferences. Innovation, trend setting menus, highest customer satisfaction is the signature of Abby’s Catering. Our culinary team will make sure our customers enjoy an unforgettable dining experience.
Reports to: Executive Chef Commercial Airline Catering
To him/her report: Chefs, Cooks, Prep-cooks
Requirements as follows, but not limited to:
This position requires flexible working schedules within a 24/7 work environment. The airline catering industry is a seasonal business and certain peak times of the year are black out periods for PTO (paid time off), e.g., year end, summer. This position requires experience in Leadership, Management, demanding Accountability and a high degree of training and teaching talent to lead the entire hot food production crew to fully comply with all food safety rules and regulations and all customer specification always.
Airline Catering is heavily food manufacturing related and requires process management for high volume batch cooking and assembly. Efficiency and productivity are key.
Knowledge of lean manufacturing practices, like SIX SIGMA Certification, are a plus.
Another important field are airline customer meal presentations, Chef tables, tastings, menu creations, suggestions, ideas and development.
- Passion for gourmet food and providing the ultimate in customer service and delivering the highest quality out of the production kitchen.
- Ensuring that all standards for food quality and all specifications and recipes are consistently met or exceeded.
- Keep all storage areas above hygiene standards and guarantee proper product rotation.
- Proficient knowledge of food safety programs, cooking supplies and equipment.
- Manage the following areas: Hot & Cold Kitchen, Raw Material Preparation, Dish Out.
- Implementation of internal food ordering/requisition systems with proper paperwork ensuring all par levels are met and no missing items or spoilage occurs.
- Create and implement daily production lists based on the actual airline menus to define production quantities and work orders for each workstation.
- Control overproduction and keep wastage to a minimum.
- Implementation and consistently keeping waste logs up-to-date for Senior Management and financial controlling review.
- Create and detail working / batch recipes for the team and teach/train for proper usage.
- Develop and train the technical skills of all team members of all levels to achieve the highest quality and productivity for the entire production.
- Develop and train the entire production team on all levels to consistently adhere to food safety rules and regulations outlined by the regulatory authorities and the company internal guidelines.
- Audits from 3rd party entities must be passed at 90% (minimum requirement)
- Team player with a positive attitude, creative, leading by example, articulate, and energetic with excellent mentoring and coaching skills.
- Flexible work schedule with the ability to cover shifts when needed.
- Ability to effectively schedule multiple shifts for a workforce of exempt and hourly workers.
- Ability to motivate and train employees on all levels and to build the team.
- Excellent communications skills to the workforce, same level team partners and senior management.
- Excellent oral, written, and organizational skills to ensure smooth and efficient production flow to meet Kitchen Ready Times always.
- Detailed oriented with key focus on quality assurance and food safety guidelines.
- Efficient and effective planner with the ability to apply techniques and applications to obtain immediate positive financial and quality results.
- Effective communicator and demonstrator of company mission statement and core values while providing producing high-quality product.
- Must be present for all food presentations and food tastings.
- Perform weekly Chef tables with QA Manager or alone, reporting findings to Senior Management and implementation of corrective action as required
- Completes requisitions for replenishment of kitchen items.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
This job description is not exhaustive of all job responsibilities. Other tasks may be added or removed by Management according to business requirements
- Culinary master’s degree, college degree in hospitality or food manufacturing
- Bilingual: English/Spanish is a big plus
- Must possess strong culinary skills in both hot and cold preparations.
- Must possess a Food Manager Certification that is valid and recognized by the local authorities.
- Must ensure the quality preparation of all menu items with a clear understanding of food fundamentals.
- Three 3+ years hands on experience as an Executive Chef within a high volume and complex culinary operation of a similar size.
- Firm in management of production sequences and designing efficient processes.
- Complete knowledge of HACCP and food safety programs and food industry standards.
- Able to control food and labor costs by estimating needs based on forecasts and utilizing the proper purchasing and staffing procedures.
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills.
- Ability to cultivate working relationship with customers.
- Proficient in MS Office and Culinary Software’s (e.g. ChefTech)
- Strong written, verbal, and communication skills are a must.
- Availability to handle numerous tasks simultaneously and able to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to be an effective communicator in a multi-cultural workforce is a plus.
- Can easily adapt to change.
- Three (3) years’ experience in Culinary Management in a high volume, quality operation required
- Culinary Master’s degree and/or college education with coursework in the hospitality field and/or food manufacturing/management preferred.
- Proficient culinary knowledge of terms, procedures and practices; two (2) years’ experience in a high-volume gourmet food service industry.
- At least two (2) year experience/exposure to menu specifications.
- Must have the ability to calculate yields ingredients, and measurements in accordance to specification.
- Must be flexible and the able to perform assigned tasks independently or as part of a work team to achieve company goals.
- Some knowledge of working with unionized environment.
Company Core values:
Abby’s Catering strongly promotes and cultivates its company core values. It is necessary for all employees to internalize such five company core values.
(The easiest way to remember the five company core values) CATCH
- Customer Driven
Memorize the five company core values!